Illinois man suing Cubs, MLB for negligence over lack of netting


An Illinois man who says he’s lost vision in his left eye after being hit in the face by a foul ball at Wrigley Field in August is suing the Cubs and Major League Baseball for negligence.


John “Jay” Loos says the Cubs are negligent for not providing enough netting to protect their fans, according to the lawsuit. He seeks at least $50,000 in damages.


On Aug. 29, Loos was sitting on the first-base side, section 135, when the foul ball struck him, causing his impairment, says the suit.


“I have only been to a few games, so to sit that close to the field with my family was really exciting,” Loos, 60, told reporters while wearing a patch over his eye.

Rob Manfred says he could mandate that clubs extend netting


The Mets extended netting over the All-Star Break, while the Yankees have announced they will do the same for the 2018 season after a young girl was hit by a foul ball off the bat of Todd Frazier last month and had to be rushed to the hospital.

John Loos, with a patch on his left eye, explains why he’s suing the Cubs and Major League Baseball.

(Chicago Sun-Times)


MLB commissioner Rob Manfred recently stated he sees a day when MLB directs all teams to extend protective netting.


“I could see a situation in which we do that. I’m not saying I’m gonna do it. But I could see a situation in which it would happen.”


Julian Green, a spokesman for the Cubs, refused to comment on the issue.

MLB commish explains hurdle to extra netting in all 30 ballparks


“The safety of our fans is paramount to a great game day experience,” Green said in an email to the Chicago Tribune. “We will continue to work with Major League Baseball to discuss and explore ways to ensure the safest possible environment for our guests.”

Tags:
illinois
chicago
chicago cubs
mlb
lawsuits
Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

قالب وردپرس

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *